Monday, August 10, 2015

The Rocco Report: 35 Weeks!


Hello, hello, hello! How are you my dear squeezers?! Thanks for popping on over to the 
blog and checking out this week's post, which thankfully, is not about hemorrhoids, but all about what you should pack for your hospital visit! 

There is a quick update on those 'unwanted friends down there,' though. Happy to report that I'm feeling so much better! Not only has the inflammation gone down, but the numbing cream is working wonders to diminish whatever discomfort is left down there. I'm a very happy preggo! Other than that, I'm feeling wonderful yet exhausted. I've been trying to get stuff done during the day while Maya is at camp, and by the time 2pm rolls around, I'm practically falling asleep. I've also been staying indoors a lot. If I don't have to be outdoors, then you'll find be nesting in my quaint abode. I'll take Maya to the pool, we'll watch movies, read books, and take the dogs for a walk when the sun goes down because there is just no way I can be outside for more than 10 minutes without feeling like I'm about to pass out from the heat. Miami, can you try your hardest to produce some sort of fall weather come late September/early October?! That would just be ideal! 

On Thursday I'll be going for another sonogram at the hospital to check Rocco's weight. Our due date is currently pending and contingent on this child's weight and size, so hopefully we'll have a better indication by the end of this week! 


Monogrammed travel bags from Pottery Barn Kids. Ready for takeoff (or for Mt. Sinai Medical Center)! 

With just a few weeks away before I get to meet Rocco Sebastian Buccio, it’s about that time to start packing my hospital bag! The last thing you will be thinking about when those contractions hit, is packing a bag; therefore, it’s a great time saver to have it ready to go a few weeks before delivery.

I started packing my bag this week! And by bag, I mean Rocco’s new monogrammed carry-on luggage from Pottery Barn Kids (let’s hope he likes dinosaurs http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/mackenzie-blue-dino-luggage/?pkey=dshop-all-luggage&&dshop-all-luggage)! In order to keep all the contents divided and organized, I rely on my Mumi packing cubes ((http://mumidesign.com/wordpress/) to compartmentalize all of Rocco’s stuff and my stuff separately.

 I’m sharing with you my very own personal hospital checklist!

Never too young to start looking good. A peek at some of Rocco's hospital outfits. 

He'll be going home in this beautiful white number and his 'I love mom and dad' hat. He's already a superstar! 

-       Toiletry bag- Don’t forget to pack a toothbrush, tooth paste, shampoo and conditioner, soap, lotion, glasses, contacts/contact solution, hair ties, face wash, hair brush, deodorant and chapstick. You will use it all the moment you feel ready to refresh. Maxi pads (even though the ginormous hospital ones are actually really good) will now be a part of your day to day for the next month or so. Make sure they can hold a heavy flow. If you’re looking to get glam and wear makeup, keep it simple with concealer, mascara and gloss, and I wouldn’t recommend these while you’re in labor. You’ll look like Bozo the clown when you meet your baby. Apply afterwards.

-       IPod playlist- I call it ambiance music. I was all about music that relaxed me. It was a compilation of Coldplay, Adele, Amy Winehouse, Bon Iver, Iron and Wine, etc. Maya was born to Adele. Let’s see what Rocco’s entrance song will be! Make sure you bring a charger.

-       Baby book- Give the memory book to the nurses so they can get your baby’s footprints and handprints when he or she is born. Rocco's baby book is from Anthropologie. 

-       Cordblood banking- If you and your partner decide to do cordblood banking, bring the box with you to the hospital and give it to your nurse once you check-in.

-       Thank you gifts- Thank you gifts go a long way. They don’t have to be extravagant. I brought small Chanel perfume samples (thanks to my friend Bonita) to give my labor and delivery nurses as well as my maternity nurses. I didn’t know how many nurses I would have so I brought eight to be safe.

Nuroo Swaddle, an Aden and Anais blanket from home, and a baby book from Anthropologie are all packed away. 

-       FujiFilm instant camera- You’ll have your smart phone, but a FujiFilm camera is a unique alternative to capture some special snapshots.

-        Comfortable Underwear- Don’t under estimate the power of granny panties (didn’t you hear? They’re trendy). Pregnant or not, I swear by them but they are of utmost importance after you give birth. You want nothing constricting since your lady parts will be very tender.

-       Pajamas- Comfortable and easy being the key words when it comes to PJs. Keep them short sleeved. Labor will make you sweat. I ended up giving birth in a bralette because I was sweating. But once I was ready to put clothes on, I kept things comfortable with PJ dresses, pants, and tops. None of these Pinterest-crazed monogrammed hospital gowns. No one has time for that.

-       Bras- If you’re planning on nursing, pack a nursing bra and/or nursing friendly pajamas. Because I don’t breastfeed, I pack sports bras. They’re tight and they hold my cabbage leaves in place, which leads me to my next item…

          Cabbage- Yes, cabbage. Bring to the hospital. The nurses are usually good about keeping it cold for you in the fridge. Cabbage leaves help in drying up breast milk if you’re not planning on breastfeeding. Be consistent.


My Mumi Design cubes make packing and unpacking a breeze! Everything is in order in Rocco's hospital bag.

Slippers- I’m a big fan of hospital socks, believe it or not, but I also pack these really soft knitted Forever 21 animal slip-ons. They feel delicious on my feet!

-       Sibling gift- If you’re giving birth to your second, third, or beyond, it’s a good idea to bring a gift for the new big brother/big sister. Consider it an olive branch from the new baby. It sort of says, “Hey, sorry I’m going to be hogging up the spotlight for a bit, but here’s a really sweet Peppa Pig toy to make things sweeter for you.”

-       Car Seat- You can’t leave the hospital without it! Make sure it’s properly strapped into your car. It will be inspected by hospital staff.

-       Outfits for baby- Unless you’re okay with the oversized white onesies the hospital provides, then you’re covered. But most new moms love to bring a few outfit choices for their newborns. Also include hats and socks, and baby mittens (so baby doesn’t scratch). It gets cold for them! If you plan to swaddle, bring that too. My swaddle is from Nuroo Baby (http://nuroobaby.com/product/nuroo-swaddler/) and I'm packing an Aden and Anais muslin blanket from home (http://www.adenandanais.com/en-us/productlanding/4615/baby/swaddles/classic/swaddle+classic.aspx)! 

-       For dads- pack a small travel bag for dad too. A toiletry bag with all his essentials and a change of clothes!

All packed and ready to go! 


See you next week, squeezers! 

Bumpin' love,

Rocco's Mom. 

1 comment :

  1. He's almost here! I love the name you picked for him. Rocco and Maya are going to be the coolest siblings in town. Great hospital list, always a good idea to be ready a month before baby is due.

    ReplyDelete